The history of the Geotechnics Division in Flanders and Belgium starts with the creation in 1939 of the Laboratory of Soil Mechanics within the Ministry of Public Works, led by the young engineer E. De Beer. The laboratory at St. Pietersnieuwstraat was developed in Belgium and the first cone penetration tests were carried out with the "saffold."
In 1941 the laboratory was transformed into the State Institute for Soil Mechanics (RIG) so the private sector could use its services. The laboratory, site investigation teams and engineering corps formed the cradle of geotechnical engineering in Belgium.
With regionalization in 1989, RIG was split into a Flemish and a Walloon entity. The Geotechnics Division, kept his offices and laboratory at the Technology Park site in Zwijnaarde, as the geotechnics knowledge centre in Flanders.
Soundings in the past vs. now